The Department of Animal Husbandry Services is one of the new Departments created from the defunct Livestock and Pest Control Services and became operational on 23rd June 2014. It coordinates livestock development policies, programmes and interventions to attain self-sufficiency in the production, processing and marketing of livestock and livestock products to meet the protein needs of the country as well as for export. The Department is also saddled with the responsibility of creating enabling environment for conflict mitigation and peacebuilding in livestock production areas including the Grazing Reserves
A Livestock Industry where value addition and quality services enable Sustainable, Diversified and Productive Livestock Economy in Nigeria.
To provide enabling environment for quality and efficient service delivery to livestock farmers and stakeholders through effective livestock policy formulation and implementation.
The mandate and responsibilities of the Department include:
- Coordination of livestock development policies, programmes and interventions to attain self-sufficiency in production, processing and marketing of livestock and livestock products to meet the protein needs of the country as well as for export;
- To coordinate livestock commodity value chains (Donkey, Beef, Dairy, Leather, Sheep and Goat, Poultry, Pig, Micro-Livestock (Snail, Grasscutter,/Rabbit, Honey Bee), Pasture and Feeds;
- Growing the country’s animal resources through:
- Establishment of Model Grazing Reserves and development of existing Grazing Reserves;
- Development of stock routes;
- Upgrading and conservation of genetic potentials of indigenous breeds of animals;
- Provision of guidance to ensure production of safe feeds for safe food.
- Collaboration with NIAS and relevant Agencies in the development of Minimum Operating procedures for Livestock Value Chains.
- Facilitation of private sector participation in all aspects of animal production, processing and marketing.
- Provision of leadership for the formulation of Livestock policies;
- Liaison with NAFDAC on import and export of livestock and livestock products;
- Development and promotion of minimum operating procedures for livestock Commodity value chains;
- Collaboration with other relevant agencies and departments for import and export permit for research and trade in livestock, livestock products and feed;
- Promotion of animal breeding and conservation of indigenous animal genetic resources in the country;
- Development and promotion of livestock commodity value chains for improved productivity, job creation, and optimum utilization of the ecosystem.
- Collaboration with relevant agencies and institutions to ensure quality control services in the livestock sub-sector including livestock feed and feed ingredients;
- Support human capital development and vocational skills in livestock commodity value chains;
- Conduct and maintain periodic livestock census, data and market information systems for all species of livestock;
- Collaboration with relevant agencies and institutions on improved animal production techniques, value addition, marketing and feed technologies;
- Collaboration with National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI), Shika, Zaria, on animal production research;
- Encourage private sector participation in all aspects of the livestock value chain and grazing reserves development;
- Rendering pastoral services, establishment of model Grazing Reserves, development of pasture and livestock markets;
- Promotion of economic empowerment of pastoralists and other Grazing Reserves users.
3.0 STRUCTURE AND ACTIVITIES
The Department is structured into five (5) Divisions and Livestock Sub-Sectoral Management Unit under the office of the Director.
3.1 Commercial Ruminant and Dairy Production Division
- Ensures adequate supply of quality meat, milk, dairy and leather products in the domestic market and developing potentials for export
- Coordinates the activities of the following livestock commodity value chains: Sheep and Goats, Beef/ Halal, Dairy, Leather as well overseeing the management of the Ministry’s Pilot Tannery situated in Oji River, Enugu State.
3.2 Monogastric Division
- Responsible for the provision of an adequate supply of quality poultry, pig and their products for domestic and international markets;
- Oversees the activities of poultry, pig and Micro-Livestock commodity value chains (Egg, Broiler, Honey, Snail, and Grasscutter/Rabbit).
3.3 Animal Breeding and Conservation Division(AB &C)
- Oversees the development and improvement of the national herd through natural selection, artificial Insemination multiplication and conservation of various breeds and species of livestock
- The 14 Breeding Centres of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development located in the agro-ecological zones are also being supervised by the Division.
- The A B & C Division has the following branches:
1. Breeding and Conservation Centres
2. Semen Production and Artificial Insemination
3. Stock Development and Biogenetics
3.4 Animal Feeds and Feed Security Division
- Provides guidance for the development of Nigeria’s animal feed resources
- In collaboration with relevant agencies, regulate, monitor and enforce feed and feed sources quality and standards in line with international best practices.
- Branches in the Division are:
1. Animal Feeds Quality Control and Certification
2. Feed Resources Development and Animal Feeds Value Chain
3. Feedmills Operating Standards and Control
3.5 Range and Pastoral Services Division
Responsible for promoting sendenterization of pastoralists, development of the Nation’s Grazing and Stock routes through the provision of improved grazing areas and infrastructure (boreholes, one-stop shops, Irrigation facilities, Livestock Service Centres, etc).
- Branches and value chains in the Division are:
- Pasture Seeds
- Pastoral Services and Conflict Resolution
- Stock Routes Development
- Grazing Reserves Development
- Livestock Markets Development
- Fodder value chain
3.6 Livestock Sub-Sectoral Management Unit
- Coordinates Planning and Development Analysis,
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Livestock Data Management
- Collaboration and Partnership with National, Regional and International Livestock Development Partners and Organizations
- Livestock Capacity Development
- Oversees the National Livestock Training Centre, Kachia
- Promotion of Public-Private Partnership for the Department
- Coordinates the activities of the Donkey Value Chain.
Email: [email protected]